The following projects don't require building permits:
- Work such as floor coverings, painting, cabinetry and countertops.
- Replacement of windows or doors which are the same size as the window or door being replaced. Note: The windows and doors installed must meet current energy standards.
- Residential sheds without foundations and under 200 square feet. Note: The shed still needs to meet setbacks for accessory buildings. For setback information contact the city’s Planning Department at 406-758-7940.
- Decks not attached to a home, are less than 30 inches off the ground, and have no roof structure.
- Residential roof replacement unless more than 10% of the sheathing is being replaced. Note: Only 2 layers of shingles are allowed per code.