How can I get my conviction expunged or removed from my record?

Kalispell Municipal Court does not have the power to expunge a conviction. The legislature has granted that authority exclusively to District Courts.

If your sentence was deferred at the time it was pronounced AND you have successfully completed all conditions of the sentence, the Court can dismiss the charge and seal your cause number. What that means is that the public does not have access to the details of the conviction and your criminal record will state that the charge has been dismissed.

If you believe you meet both of these conditions, then you should file a Motion to Dismiss with the court.

This request will be denied if the Court finds that you (1) did not complete all conditions of your sentence on time; (2) if you had a new charge during the time the deferred sentence was running or (3) if the time for deferment has not expired.

If you did not receive a deferred sentence and believe your conviction should be taken off your record, you may be best served by consulting an attorney. 

Show All Answers

1. When is my court date?
2. How do I get a refund on my cash bond?
3. There is a warrant out for my arrest, what do I do?
4. Where do I go if I have a ticket from the Montana Highway Patrol or Flathead County Sheriff's Department?
5. Can I always just pay the fine no matter what the charge?
6. How can I get my conviction expunged or removed from my record?
7. What are points and what is this ticket going to do to my driving record or my insurance rates?
8. How do I get my ticket dismissed?
9. I can’t afford an attorney and don’t qualify for a public defender, can I represent myself?
10. I'm supposed to appear in court today, but I can't make it. Do I have to appear?
11. The judge ordered restitution to me. When will I get that money?
12. What are the court's surcharges used for?
13. How do I get my scheduled court hearing moved to a different date?
14. How do I request restitution (as a victim)?
15. What do I need to bring to court?
16. How do I get a conviction off my record?