The City Street Division has received and placed into operation a new 2018 vacuum sweeper. In 2016, the City applied for and was awarded funding for a 2018 sweeper through the Montana Air and Congestion Initiative (MACI) Grant program. The program provides 86.58% of the funding. The remaining 13.42% is provided as a match requirement. MACI is a grant provided through the Montana Department of Transportation and provides funds for equipment purchases which are utilized to benefit air quality in the State. Studies have shown the use of equipment that reduces particulate matter to be an effective means of improving air quality. MACI has a very specific list of equipment that qualifies, such as sweepers, flush trucks, and in some cases deicing equipment.
The total cost of the sweeper we received (2019 Freightliner) was $238,658.79 and the City’s match was $32,028.01. The match is 13.42% of the sweeper cost plus indirect costs. Awards are based on factors such as available funding, asset management of existing equipment, stated need, and the total number of applicants.