News Flash Home
The original item was published from 2/4/2019 1:42:06 PM to 2/4/2019 1:42:16 PM.

News Flash

News (General)

Posted on: January 11, 2019

[ARCHIVED] Public Right-of-Way Permits Now Online

Image of street excavation

All work performed within the public right of way of the City of Kalispell requires the issuance of a Public Right-of-Way Permit. This permit is issued and administered by the Kalispell Public Works Department.

Public Right-of-Way Permits include, but are not limited to, utility installation, fill and/or excavation, sewer/water taps, sidewalk, curb, gutter and driveway access construction. Also included are uses of the Public Right-of-Way that may create a hazard such as scaffolding, material or equipment storage, crane operations, sandblasting, painting, etc. All work performed must be in compliance with the City Standards for Design and Construction.

Right-of-Way and Driveway Construction Applicants can now apply for the permit needed online. The city is completely transitioning to an electronic permit process and will no longer be supporting paper submittals.

The Driveway Construction Permit has been merged into the Public Right-of-Way Permit to help streamline the application process.

Online permits are through Cityworks and can be found here. First time applicants will need to create an account. If applicants have completed any of Kalispell’s building department’s permits online, the same login can be used.

Payment can now be made online when submitting the permit. Additional documents will be emailed to to complete applications. Required documents include:

Site Plan 

Traffic/Pedestrian Control Plan (Traffic control plan and corresponding public service announcement are required for work affecting pedestrians and/or motorists)

*Liability Insurance- The City of Kalispell must be listed as the Certificate Holder (Additional Insured). Limits are in the amounts of $1,000,000 per occurrence with $3,000,000 Aggregate for excavations to the City’s utility mains. For smaller projects, like driveways or connecting to existing utility service lines, insurance requirements are $1,000,000 per occurrence with $2,000,000 Aggregate.

*Bonding- In the amount of $5,000 (Must submit original document to Public Works)

*Applicants should contact the Public Works Front Desk at (406) 758-7720 with questions or to verify if documents are on file. Current Insurance and Bonding do not need to be submitted if already on file with the Public Works Department.

The city website also provides the link to the application along with additional resources.

The city is excited to move forward and offer our Public Right-of-Way Permit online! 

Facebook Twitter Email