- Camera Registration Service
Kalispell Camera Registration Service
How Does it Work?
The Kalispell Police Department is committed to partnerships with residents and businesses in our community. Numerous residents and businesses currently operate surveillance systems. Video surveillance is one of the best methods for apprehending and convicting suspects who have committed a crime. As crimes may have occurred nearby, residents and businesses are not always aware that their surveillance system may have captured information that could help solve a crime. In turn, the Police are not always aware who may have potentially vital information.
The KPD is asking residents and businesses across the City of Kalispell to register their privately owned outdoor surveillance camera systems through this program. When a crime occurs, Police will be able to identify the locations of nearby surveillance cameras and enlist the assistance of the community in solving the crime. This program connects KPD officers with citizens who have outdoor surveillance systems to make Kalispell a safer place.
What are the Benefits of Registering your Camera(s)?
By registering with the Kalispell Police Department, we can quickly identify nearby surveillance cameras that may have captured the criminal activity. After registering your outdoor surveillance camera(s), you would only be contacted by the Kalispell Police Department if there is a criminal incident in the vicinity of your security camera. Police personnel would contact you to ask if you would examine the time frame in question for any potential leads in the investigation. If your surveillance system was able to capture pertinent information, we would arrange a convenient way to retrieve the information from you.
Since you own the camera, your participation always remains 100% voluntary. Only local law enforcement officers can view the surveillance video footage.
- The KPD is only asking for footage obtained from outside surveillance cameras if a crime occurs within the area.
- The KPD will not "tap" into citizen or business surveillance systems.
- The goal for this program is to deter crime and promote public safety through collaboration between the KPD and the community we serve.
- A registrant can "opt out" of the program at any time.
- By registering your system, if a crime has occurred in your neighborhood, you may be notified that Burglaries, Vandalisms, Vehicle Break-Ins, and/or other crimes have happened in your area. This is beneficial to both citizens and law enforcement so that everyone can be aware of the incidents that are taking place and you and your neighbors can be more cognizant of the neighborhood crimes.
- The program DOES NOT confer any greater rights to the camera owner than any other member of the public concerning any response by the Kalispell Police Department to a criminal complaint or criminal activity.
- Any footage containing or relating to criminal activity may be collected by the Kalispell Police Department for use as evidence during any stage of a criminal proceeding.
- The registration process is simple and there is no fee to participate in this program. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>