Archives Departments City Council Home

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Where are your offices located and what is the mailing address?

The City of Kalispell Planning & Building Department is located in the lower level of Kalispell City Hall – 201 1st Avenue East (at the intersection of 1st Avenue East and 2nd Street East). The mailing address is P.O. Box 1997, Kalispell, MT 59903.


  • Which planning office do I contact for my property? 

The Kalispell Planning & Building Department has jurisdiction only over properties that are either within the current city limits of Kalispell or properties just outside the city limits if the owner wants to pursue annexation into the city. Otherwise you should contact the following offices depending on the location of your property: Flathead County Planning & Zoning (406) 751-8200; City of Whitefish (406) 863-2410; or City of Columbia Falls (406) 892-4391.


  • How can I contact a member of the Kalispell City Planning Board?

You can either mail a letter to the Kalispell Planning & Building Department, 201 1st Avenue East, Kalispell, MT 59901 and we will forward your comments/concerns to the planning board or send an email to the following address: 

  • When is the next planning board meeting and where are the meetings held?

The planning board meetings are held the 2nd Tuesday of each month beginning at 7:00 p.m. at the Kalispell City Council Chambers, 201 1st Avenue East.

  • How do I determine zoning on properties in the City of Kalispell and find a description of the zones?

The planning department provides zoning maps on our website in pdf format. Just select the Maps page on the right. The zoning map also contains information on the city limits boundary and the location of the Highway 93 Alternate Route. If you choose to contact our office at (406) 758-7940 you will need to have either the address or a legal description of the property in order for us to locate it on the map.

In addition, our Zoning Ordinance can be accessed on our website by selecting the Regulations page on the right. The zoning district descriptions include permitted and conditional uses for the zone and property development standards such as setbacks, parking requirements, and fencing regulations.


  • Is a permit required for installing a new sign or changing an existing sign on a business?  

Yes, a permit is required for a new sign or changing out an existing sign. The permit application can be downloaded from our website by selecting the Applications page on the right.

In addition temporary signs such as banners, a-frame signs or other temporary signs also require a permit. The temporary sign permit application can be downloaded from our website also by selecting the Applications page on the right.


  • Are businesses/contractors required to be licensed to operate in the city?

Currently the City of Kalispell only issues business licenses for gas fitters. The Building Department is responsible for administering the gas fitters test and issuing licenses and renewals for both businesses and individual gas fitters. For additional information contact our office at (406) 758-7730.

If you have any other questions please contact the Kalispell Planning & Building Department at (406) 758-7940 or email us at




Photos courtesy of Digital Broadway LLC