Archives Departments City Council Home
Home > Fire >

 CANDLE SAFETY 

Candles may be pretty to look at but they are a cause of home fires — and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn. 

FACTS

  • On average, a candle fire in the home is reported to a U.S. fire department every 30 minutes.
  • Roughly two-fifths of home candle fires started in the bedroom.
  • More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle.

TIPS

  • Think about using flameless candles in your home. They look and smell like real candles.
  • Never leave a child alone in a room with a burning candle. Keep matches and lighters up high and out of children’s reach, in a locked cabinet.
  • Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
  • Use candle holders that are sturdy, and won’t tip over easily.
  • Put candle holders on a sturdy, uncluttered surface.
  • Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and any loose clothing away from the flame.
  • Don’t burn a candle all the way down — put it out before it gets too close to the holder or container.
  • Never use a candle if oxygen is used in the home.
  • Have flashlights and battery-powered lighting ready to use during a power outage. Never use candles.

 

 

 

 

Photos courtesy of Digital Broadway LLC