Archives Departments City Council Home

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the office located?

The City of Kalispell Planning & Building Department is located in the lower level of the Kalispell City Hall – 201 1st Avenue East (at the intersection of 1st Avenue East and 2nd Street East), Kalispell. The mailing address is P.O. Box 1997, Kalispell, MT 59903.

What building codes are currently being used?

  • 2012 International Building, Mechanical, Fuel Gas, Fire & Energy Code
  • 2012 International Existing Building Code
  • 2012 International Residential Code
  • 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code.

What projects do not require building permits?

  •  Work such as floor coverings, painting, cabinetry and countertops.
  • Replacement of windows or doors which are the same size as the window or door being replaced.  Note: The windows and doors installed must meet current energy standards.
  • Residential sheds without foundations and under 200 square feet.    Note: The shed still needs to meet setbacks for accessory buildings. For setback information contact the city’s Planning Department at (406) 758-7940.
  • Decks not attached to a home, are less than 30 inches off the ground, and have no roof structure.
  • Residential roof replacement unless more than 10% of the sheathing is being replaced.  Note: Only 2 layers of shingles are allowed per code.

Can I do my own plumbing and mechanical work? Would I still need a permit to do this work?

A homeowner can do their own plumbing, electrical and mechanical work if they reside at the home, however permits are is still required.

Do contractors need to be licensed with the State in order to do work in the city? 

Contractors are required to be registered with the State of Montana, Department of Labor and Industry Employment Relations Division in Helena. You can register through their website at  or by calling (406) 444-9029.


Are businesses/contractors required to be licensed to operate in the city?

Currently the City of Kalispell only issues business licenses for gas fitters. The Building Department is responsible for administering the gas fitters test and issuing licenses and renewals for both businesses and individual gas fitters. For additional information contact our office.

If you have any other questions please contact the Kalispell Building Department at (406) 758-7730 or email us at


Photos courtesy of Digital Broadway LLC